Pugwash
(.300 member)
10/12/18 07:20 PM
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles

Hi Twobobbwana,

I think you've got a pretty good grasp of the subject.I know what you mean about the Boxlock action's.These tend to be quite thick through the flats and also from the lumpslot's to the tumbler slot's.However you look at these thing's the main areas seem to be aformentioned ones and the thickness through the root or radius between the flats and the face.Most Boxlock rifle's also had some kind of third bite or at least a doll's head.This would have helped considerably keep the thing together.

To answer Steve's question on third bite's,I will give you my opinion which again is going to be up for debate,but is through years of observation what I consider to be correct.The dolls head extension is a better third grip than anything else except for a dolls head with a third bite.It stops the face from moving backwards and with a third bite will tend to stop the barrels lifting when fired.The hidden third bites such as with an H&H or Purdey are next to useless.The main aim is to stop the face from moving backwards which neither of these do.The likes of the crossbolt type third bites are ok and definitely work but again in my opinion aren't as good as the dolls head.Some of the early Westley Richards Rifles didn't have an underbolt,just a dolls head with an third bite.These held together well because when properly jointed the Draw will tend to pull the barrel's downwards into the action when fired rather than the barrels pushing off the action.

Steve,you rifle's going to be a bit difficult to fit a Dolls Head to so if you feel the need to fit a third bite I think it will have to be a crossbolt.You see on the continental rifles that they have them either on one or both sides of the chamber.I know you will have the experience to decide which is best for you and most suitable for the caliber you choose.However well made these Breech opening rifles are,they will never as accurate as a Bolt action or Falling Block rifle.It's just the nature of the design and you will never stop the flexing as hard as you try to eliminate it.

Mark

Contact Us NitroExpress.com