DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
02/10/18 12:28 PM
Re: Selling a shotgun converted to DR

Whether or not you provide 'full disclosure", you are liable to be sued in the event that someone is injured due to a mishap with this firearm. In the eyes of the law, YOU manufactured this firearm and it is you who will be held responsible for any injury that may occur.

I wish I had photos of the shotgun-to-rifle conversion that came into the shop that had suffered a pierced primer. It would scare all but the most obstinate of you guys away from shotgun actions forever and make you see that "green bible" for the catbox liner that it actually is.

I'm not talking about a catastrophic failure of the barrel or frame, just a pierced primer and the stock was blown to splinters (many of which embedded themselves into the shooter's hand, arm and face), the mechanical damage was also significant.

Like the above gun, your CZ has firing pins that are integral to the hammers, meaning that if a primer is pierced, much gas pressure is going to vent directly into the frame and stock. Neither of those areas was meant to contain pressure of any type, much less that type.

The reason that rifles have disc-set strikers has nothing to do with the diameter of the striker nose but as a safety mechanism. In a proper disc-set design, the rupture of a primer will drive the striker back into its bore in the standing breech, sealing off the internals of the frame and stock while the gas pressure is vented through the vent screw.

No shotgun design that has its strikers integral to the hammer has enough material in the standing breech to CORRECTLY be converted to a disc-set design, FULL STOP.

I don't know about too many other areas where people talk about American exceptionalism, but we are certainly exceptionally good at getting lawyers involved in things. So, the real question is: Is the monetary gain from selling this item worth the potential consequences down the road? I also doubt that any "liability release" that you have the buyer sign will be worth the paper it's printed on in a worst-case scenario.

This is precisely the reason that the UK and European countries have proof laws. The gun or rifle passes proof, the maker is in the clear (basically). Over here we let the lawyers handle it.

Unpleasant to read? Yup.
Realistic? Yes again.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com