brennon272
(.224 member)
21/01/18 05:47 PM
Questions On Building Double Rifles

Hello,

I have read and researched fairly extensively the process of building double rifles and am posting a few questions that I have. I am not necessarily interested in converting a shotgun into a double rifle, I am more entertained by machining my own action as I have access to a full machine shop with manual and cnc equipment as well as plenty of hand tools.

1. How should I go about getting proper dimensions for the action? I have been unable to find any blueprints, at this point I am assuming that I will have to buy a shotgun anyway just for the measurements. If this is true, what bores should I be looking for? I know some makers have as many as 8 different action sizes for their doubles. The only calibers I would be particularly interested in would be "obsolete" calibers like 318 Westley Richards or perhaps a 400 Purdey, but nothing larger than a 425 Westley Richards.

2. If I should have to use a shotgun action for dimensions, what brands should I look for? Ideally I would like a double rifle with an H&H type 7 pin lock, intercepting sears, and an Anson & Deeley type forend iron.

3. What metal(s) should I seek for the receiver, locks, forend iron, etc? I have seen claims from some makers that their receivers are "Specially designed for double rifles," I am assuming that this refers to intercepting sears, bushed firing pins, and reinforcement added on the sides of the receiver. If I am wrong or there is more to this statement please correct me on this.

4. I plan on using chopper lump barrels that I will join myself. I have only been able to find two providers of chopper lump blanks: Hambrusch/Ferlach in Austria and microfinish gun barrels ltd. If anyone knows of others it would be of great benefit to have as many sources as possible when trying to source blanks for these "obsolete" calibers.

5. I have Ellis Brown's building double rifles on shotgun action en route to me, any recommendations for other books on building doubles would be great, especially on the process of regulation.

I would like anyone who has any additional comments or tips who have undertaken such a challenge to please share them, good or bad

Thanks,
Brennon272

Contact Us NitroExpress.com