MarineMD
(.224 member)
10/10/17 11:54 AM
Re: .500 Linebaugh Conversion

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice rifle. Beautiful piece of wood !!!!!!!!!! I'm curious why your client chose the .500 Linebaugh (and I'm not saying it's a bad choice , just curious) ?
Again, beautiful rifle !!!!!!!
Robert

Nothing wrong with your photographic skills mate!
Couldn't put it better
93x64mm

I am the client. Why I chose 500 Linebaugh:

1. Aesthetics. I wanted the gun to resemble a British double elephant gun, but I didn't want the recoil of a real elephant gun cartridge. Thus, i wanted the barrels to have great big bores. The 500 Linebaugh fits that role perfectly. Also, this being a double gun, I wanted an easily ejectable rimmed cartridge. Again a revolver cartridge seemed like a good choice.

2. Ok, so I picked the caliber in a rimmed case but now finding a low pressure round. I didn't want the gun to shoot itself apart. For example, 454 has a very high chamber pressure. I spoke with Linebaugh himself and the folks at Buffalo Bore and even a very hot 500 Linebaugh load comes in under 30,000 psi.

3. I may be wrong here, but I do not believe there is any animal in North America that wouldn't be dead if you shoot a hard cast, half-inch, 1 Oz bullet at 1100 FPS through its ribs. 500 Linebaugh has done well Elk and Moose so I think a 150 lbs New York State deer shot at 35-75 yard will present no problem. We'll see this year at my family's annual Thanksgiving day deer drive. You only get a few seconds to shoot and scopes are actually a handicap in the thick woods

4. Other alternatives may have been 45-70. Which would have given me a tapered case as well. 35 Rem would've worked too, but the 500 Linebaugh has a special panache for me. Especially since I also own a Ruger Bisley revolver in the same cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com