transvaal
(.300 member)
11/04/17 03:02 AM
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels

Three point striker disc installation and removal tools are made by using a rotary milling device (rotary table and so forth) mounted under a vertical mill or an extremely accurate drill press. The rotary device allow precise 120 degree intervals to be selected in order to drill the holes. Without such a rotary device they are difficult to make and impossible for most hobby machinist. I make them and use drill bit shafts for the three pins that I have cut into lengths with a small diamond wheel cutter from the appropriate size drill bit (they are hard and will not break easily). I use thread locker to keep them in place. For example I used a number 50 drill for the tool for this rifle. I do not a present have a photo of the final striker discs that I made for this rifle but, I made the disc where the three holes were outside the outer diameter area of the cartridge primer, in order that if there were a primer expansion because of a over pressure loads, that the primer will not have any "holes" to flow back into as it becomes somewhat plastic in the ignition of the over pressure cartridges.

To make one for your rifle or gun you must first know the diameter of the three holes you need, and the exact distance from the center point of the striker hole to the exact center point of the three outer holes. Generally you want this measurement to be =/- .001".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com