twobobbwana
(.333 member)
07/04/17 11:32 AM
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels

Matabele,

I've used black felt pens for some time when fitting parts and have wondered whether the ink layered down on the part is thicker or thinner than "smoke". It's certainly more convenient.

Thank you for the photos and the explanation of the removable draw. Vic Venters book is certainly a great one for explaining a lot of this.

When you say that "It must be noted that the draw is in effect attempting to hold the barrels off the face and care needs to be taken to ensure good engagement with the draw (you can feel the barrels "picking up" on the draw if you close the barrels slowly and feel for the slight drag) but it cannot be excessive or it will bring the gun off the face"............I always assumed that the "face" was the breech face so therefore wouldn't the draw be moving the barrels towards the breech face ???

I think that, in Vic Venters book, with jointing a double rifle it said that the force had to be taken off the hinge pin or it may bulge actions at the hinge pin.......perhaps this is what the "draw" is doing when it fitted correctly in a double rifle. Venters does show the difference between the jointing of a shotgun and the jointing of a double rifle in the book.....the shotgun uses the hingepin as "bearing point" whereas the double rifle doesn't due to the greater pressures involved.

Not nit picking/arguing just testing my understanding of the principle.

Keep up with the great work and please keep us informed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com