transvaal
(.300 member)
28/03/17 07:31 AM
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels

The brazing of the barrels is the next subject up for discussion. I tried 2 methods of heating the barrel pair up to brazing temperature: 1) light weight fire brick pile furnace; and 2) the heating of the barrels with a large ring propane burner similar to the way that I found that Verney Carron uses. This link will show you how Verney-Carron does it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdjPS8339k&list=FL6pg-PI55WcZg9sM6D7qc6A

See the Verney-Carron brazing method starting at 1 minute 50 seconds into the video.

After I found the video that illustrated the Verney-Carron method I discontinued using the fire brick pile furnace. The reason being that by being able to bring an Oxy/Actl torch quickly to the barrels after they reach brazing flow temperature, you can be assured that you can reach all the areas of the barrels to add braze if you need to. Secondly and importantly you can allow the barrels to drop in temperature while they are stationary and be assured that the do not move from the desired position on the shoe lump platform. Thirdly there is less concern about overheating the barrel set with the open burner method. You use more fuel with Verney-Carron method, but it is outweighed all its advantages over the furnace.

I built a fixture to hold the barrels while they are heated. This fixture does not consume as much heat as the fixture you will see in the video, I think. Here are some photos. Please note that much more silver braze is needed that what I have placed for this photo. You will see what the barrels look like from their breech end in the brazing furnace or muffle as it is also called. The final photos are the barrels after they have been cleaned.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com