transvaal
(.300 member)
27/03/17 07:23 AM
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels

I built this DR on a 1963 series Brno zp49 SLE donor action. Actions of this time frame are machined with a very thick draw section of the action lump slot and the draw is machined at an angle instead of a radius. This allowed me to build and joint a set of barrels that are of similar design to how H&H and other UK DR makers use today to provide for a more ridged lock up of the action to the barrels upon closing of the action. Vic Venters in his book: Gun Craft illustrates this on page 13. The jointing of the barrels then are held tightly against three points 1)action face to barrel face; 2)action draw to forward surface of the rear lump (called the circle area); and the forward lump hook to the hinge pin.

If you do not follow me in this description let me know and I will photograph page 15 of Vic's book and add the photo to the post.

For those of you who follow me on this you can see that the jointing of barrels using this 3 point lock up is very time consuming and much pre-planing an thought is required, not to mention handicraft.

Here are some photos that will show you how to get started.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com