DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
21/03/17 10:04 AM
Re: In the beginning...

Paying work and a design change are getting in the way of my progress.
I changed the entire lockwork for a couple of reasons. The first is that having the outer (false) lockplates be removable simply to look at the lockwork seemed like less of a good idea the longer I pondered it.
The second is that I wasn't happy with the effort needed to close the self-opening design when the added weight of the barrels was taken with it. It wasn't difficult but it wasn't pleasing either and the spring opening combined with the weight of the barrels made for a rifle that felt like it was going to jump out of the hands when it was opened. The weight of the rifle barrels can be put to much better use in a conventional cock-on-opening design. So, that is what I did but in a way inspired by Westley Richards' hand-detachable boxlock. The locks are removable with no tools after the outer plates are removed. The lock frames are machined with integral sear and tumbler pivots,like the WR, but those pivots are also supported by the inboard lockplate, which also serves to locate the lock frame.

Photos and video are below (all of the innards, except the lockwork and cocking mechanism, are removed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHMpHTtBTE&feature=youtu.be

Brian, the frame "rocks" into the stock, starting at the knuckle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com