DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
16/11/16 01:02 PM
Re: In the beginning...

Quote:

Dewey,

I'm not questioning your methods or the quality of your work.

I'm merely saying that would an alternate/possible method to cut the radius of the knuckle be to make a mandrell (extended hinge pin if you will) attach it to your rotary table (set up vertically) with a tailstock to support it and machine it that way ???

I'm just suggesting this method for we mere mortals who may not be as good with a file, dividers and a square as you.

No matter how achieve your results please keep us updated as I find this project amazing.

No worries, I didn't think you were questioning my work, I simply didn't get your question.
The rotary table idea would be perfectly workable. Believe me, no one is more of a mere mortal than myself. To prove it, I'll tell you how such a perfect radius can be achieved with files alone.
I turned two guides whose internal diameter perfectly fit the hinge pin hole and whose outer diameter matched the finished radius of the knuckle, they were then hardened and when plugged into each side of the frame, provided a positive guide to file down to. The fit is perfectly light-tight to the forend iron and concentric to the hinge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com