NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/16 07:48 AM
Re: Baikal as a base for a project rifle?

Quote:

Hello everyone.

Like a lot of people I just don't have the money to purchase a new double rifle. But I have been seeing a few of the baikal sxs 45/70 and 3006 for sale in Aus at the moment.
Neither caliber appeals to me and my dream has always been to have a double in 303.

So my question is has anyone tried to convert the baikal to 303? Or any other caliber?
How much work will it involve?
What version would be the better to start with 3006 or 45/70?
Does anyone make a nicer stock for the Baikal?
Who would be the best gunsmith in Aus to talk to about this project?

Alternatively Is anyone able to recommend a sxs shotgun that could/would be a better base to start this 303 double project that won't break the budget?

Papa.

From a practical and financial aspect I would not bother. If you do not have the gunsmithing skills to do the job yourself, it will end up costing you as much as buying on the cheaper double rifle brands already available. And you will still end up with an ugly Baikal double rifle, but one where the value will probably be still at the same price you purchased it for, before modifications.

Better to either, as said, buy one as is, and use it as is, and enjoy using it that way, if it shoots well enough for your purposes.

OR use the combined dollars to buy say a Sabatti. Sabatti have had some horrible reviews. Do a search so you know what to look for and not buy. Some members have them and are also happy. So buyer beware on the particular rifle and when it was made.

Or a Fausti. I like the look of Faustis but do not know them personally or what price they are. I would consider one of their shotguns, some appear very nice.

Second hand double rifles can be good value. The non big bore rifles in say Merkel, may well be at price LESS than a modified Baikal.

The big bore rifles usually have a higher new selling price, than 'budget' models of medium bores.

As for converting a shotgun. I asked a particular gunsmith who was converting Greener shotguns into big bores, and he no longer does it, and also told me, the end result will cost the same as buying a factory made double rifle. Maybe not completely true as he was making .577 NE's and they usually are not cheap at all from factory offerings. One of these is owned by a member and previously owned by a member.

But the gist of what he said is still true. And you have to find a gunsmith who will do it for you, and if you find him, it will still not be cheap.

If you did have the skills to do the job yourself, then it may be a different matter and personal hours and the satisfaction of building your own rifle is a different story.

To conclude, I personally would not spend thousands of dollars on a very very base grade initial offering. The end result is not worth it. But each to their own.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com