TennHillBilly
(.275 member)
21/05/15 05:12 AM
Re: Suitable steels for monoblock?

First pic shows where the barrels have been turned, with still a bit of turning, fitting shoulders etc. to do. The barrels are not exactly the same in length, basing that on the remainder of the old cartridge's neck remaining. That can barely be seen in the left barrel.
The red ink shows where a laser hit when I was about 1/3 into the monoblock. The black, where it is now. While this may not be precise, it gives me an idea how far off I might be.
I must admit, boring and reaming that last few thousands was a bear! I bought an expanding 13/16th reamer with a Morse 2 taper to fit the tailstock. The barrels I chucked in the 4 jaw and worked to about .003. If were going to do this often, I would invest in, or have made, spider for the outside of the lathe spindle. Of course, in a perfect world, I'd have a long bed lathe and turn between centers. Since the bbls will get forced about in the regulation process, I'm not sure such precision is necessary.....we'll see!
The 1.144" is the distance of the firing pins' center line. The plan, as of today is that once the barrels are finalized and I'm satisfied with the fit, I'll hard silver solder the lumps in place. Soon I'll be able to get rid of a 'ton' of excess steel from the monoblock!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com