zimhunter
(.333 member)
17/03/15 02:37 PM
Re: regulating with laser bore sights?

I know you can't use lasers on double rifles cause I've read it on these forums many times. When I scoped my doubles (a Chapius 9.3x74r UGEX and a Merkel 8x57r) I sighted them in with a bore mounted Laserlyte in the right barrel. Both were within 2 inches at 50 yds of aiming point with both barrels. Actually got the Merkel much better fiddling with different loads. Chapius had Leupold VariX-III 1-5as did the Merkel. Mounts on the Chapuis were Ruger rings on custom ruger bases in rib, the Merkel had an MAK quick detachable mount fro Belguim. I believe the difficulty in regulating doubles is greatly overrated magic to impress customers with the exorbitant prices charged. I have owned 3 Valmets (of course I know they are O/U's) one a salesmans set with a complete set of all the barrels they made for them. All were easily regulated as they were meant to be from the factory. Convential SxS's are certainly more difficult to regulate but primarily because they have top and bottom ribs that must be soldered in and a wedge at front if they had adjusters as say the Valmet does they could be adjusted but would not look as good. I don't shoot SxS's very well do much better with single sighting plane guns. If SxS's were so super difficult to regulate how do they make so many so cheap SxS shotguns. And don't give the BS that they aren't rifles and shoot shot. If they did not shoot basically to the same impact no expert shot would use them and yet they have been used for years successfully.When I shoot a SXS on the pattern board I aim at the same point at the same distance with both barrels and count the shot and the disbursement inside the circle. I have never patterned one that did not shoot within the circles correctly. Using modern methods and steels there is absolutely no reason they could not build a successful SxS rifle inexpensively. But there has to be a market for them and while some on here think there is it obviously isn't. If you don't believe that why is the Colt Python no longer built or the Peacemaker. Ruger makes very good single actions but they don't demand the price a Peacemaker does. Yet I would venture the Peacemaker or the Python could easily be produced to compete with the Rugers if the market demanded it and you could prove it would return a profit. A pretty much perfect example of this is the Sabbati sold by Cabelas. It was about half the price of any other SxS big bore. But sales were absolutely ruined by the manner they successfully regulated some of them. I never read a single honest report that said they did not regulate to hunting accuracy with a single one of them. It was an appearance they did something less expensive to regulate some of them.The forums can take credit for totally killing the sales. Reminds me greatly of a man named Ralph Nader who totally destroyed the sales of an automobile by writing a book that did not honestly represent the automobile he hated so much. The book was 'Unsafe at any speed' (which it absolutely was not in any way) and the car was the Corvair by Chevrolet. I would personally been happy to own a Sabatti with the ground muzzle and used it in Africa. I really also liked the early Corvairs. Somehow millions have learned to drive rear engined air cooled horizontal opposed engined autos since before and after the Corvair. In point of fact I had one made of the 3 most popular. I had a Karmann Ghia Volkswagen,with Porsche running gear and brakes and a Corvair engine. Ran and drove exceptionally well. Also owned several Volkswagens and Porsches over the years

Contact Us NitroExpress.com