ChrisPer
(.300 member)
19/12/14 09:05 AM
Re: Thomas Turner .450 2 3/4" BPE return to service

Thanks for that on the grip Tinker. I found I started for full wrap and found the sight plane is very low, so this is where I ended up. The first time out the barrels pulled up out of my grip so I think this time I was gripping very hard to prevent that. Will try further forward and lift a few weights first.

The loads with unburnt powder are not with any filler, and the necks are not especially tight. I have modified a Lee 45/70 crimp die but it needs some more work. I will improve that for next set of loads.

This target finished the loads Vic did for me. The jacketed bullets I have next are 300gn HP from The Bullet Factory, which have very thin non-bonded jackets suited for light-skinned Australian game. You could garage a bakkie, pickup or ute in the nose! However I might see if I can get some Hornady for testing which I think is what Vic used.

The cast bullets holes in the targets were maybe a bit oval, and I am suspicious that they are not engaging the rifling correctly. May try a gas check type.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com