ChrisPer
(.300 member)
15/12/14 07:15 PM
Re: Thomas Turner .450 2 3/4" BPE return to service

Vic gave me a dozen loaded rounds to test with. The load he was using is 85gns AR2213sc with no filler, pushing a 300gn jacketed projectile at 1680 fps. 215 Mag primers.

I want to be able to use this in BP Cartridge or 'Any BP Double' events so I worked out a duplex load from the guidelines in Graeme Wright's book, 66gn of Wano PPP over 14.7gn of AR2207, and a 300gn cast bullet (Westcast). Again from Wright, I added a double thickness of beeswax foundation sheet (thin and brittle) over the powder. This aims at the power level of a 110gn BP load as usual for this cartridge. Marked the cases with a D on the base in black marker to identify them.

For comparison I tried a load of straight WANO PPP. If I left a little room for wax and seating the bullet I could fit 97 gns of BP so that's what I used. These cases were marked with a 97 in black marker and a line across the base. The Bertram cases are obviously thicker than the old balloon head cases used in BP days, and have lower volume capacity.

Setup was benchrest, holding the barrels in my left hand onto the front rest, and with a low stool so my body was upright.

I warmed up with some scoped .22 groups at 50m (2" ish), then three shots out of my Mannlicher 9.5x57 MS with express sights (5" ish) before starting with the double. I don't want anyone to be unaware that I am a very ordinary shot!

First up I used the NfB load supplied by Vic.
Line up at 50m.
WHAM!! YEEEEEHAH! For crying out loud, this thing has some punch; maybe I should have worn a towel under a jacket. The barrels plucked themselves out of my front hand. I settled in and let a few more go.

The first three shots were 3 at 8 o'clock,1 at 10 o'clock and 6 at 10 o'clock.

Very disappointing. I considered my options, and brought the target from 50m back to 25m. The 25m four shot group is high left centred about 11 0'clock at the edge of the black. R1 was the one in the black. Both these were shot with the bead centred in the TOP of the deep V rearsight.

OK, then I tried the duplex loads. WHAM! these also gave a very satisfactory experience at the butt end. I switched to the bead BOTTOMING in the V of the rearsight.

Not so satisfactory in the group. The wildest low left one was L2.

Finally I tried the straight BP load. Again, very authoritative to shoot. The first two shots are very nicely together but the last two shots missed the paper, presumably above.

Summary: I did not get within a bull's roar of Vic's accuracy, even with his loaded rounds. Conclusion: I need to practice - a lot. Its not at all a brutal rifle but it is bigger than I am used to.

Second, the duplex and BP rounds used a bought, pre-lubed cast projectile that has no track record in these barrels. I believe I should ask around for BP 45-70 shooters and get some purpose-made BP cast bullets with deep grooves and BP-specific lube.

Your suggestions for improving my marksmanship are welcome.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com