ChrisPer
(.300 member)
15/12/14 05:11 PM
Re: Thomas Turner .450 2 3/4" BPE return to service

Whooee!
So many ups and downs. The trip to Darwin was great, and my first sight of the rifle I had a great surprise - the barrels are blued, and it looks really sharp!

The stock repairs leave the wood to metal fit beautifully close. The gunsmith has I think cleaned the action metal somewhat brighter and made the engraving clearer.

Notice how the firing pin heads stand up? He has re-sprung them. They were free-floating before.

There is a new, higher foresight. The previous one was much lower. And the leaves of the rear-sight tightened so some very firm intentionality is now needed to raise them.

The muzzles are cleaned bright - initially I thought re-cut, but now I am not sure.

The action or lever was tightened. I have not tested the paper between the breeches and breech face yet, but the lever closes with a lot more effort now and feels very, very solid when fully closed. The lever stops before the centred position.

The engraving on the lever is pretty, but very difficult to see.

A lot of work had to be done on the triggers I believe. Especially as the stockwork left them not as they had been, due to changing lock to trigger bar relationships. The gunsmith discussed removing the fly from one, but I did not end up able to see how their condition now was different to before the stock work started. However there appears to be a packer under the trigger guard behind the rear trigger.

I never liked the half-cock positions - the right one is well to the rear, and left even further so its hard to see that it isn't full-cock. I believe the left hammer is a replacement. Neither hammer is engraved.

A pic showing some of the stock repair work - very hard to see.

Now the important question! How does it shoot? Here is Vic Pedersen's regulated result.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com