DarylS
(.700 member)
25/04/14 02:15 AM
Re: 6.5x57 Rimmed Double Rifle Project

I-to would pick the .32/20 - I've never had one but have wanted one since I used to drool over the ctgs. (part box) in the hardware store as a kid. I assume some farmer needed just a few for a problem dog or maybe for a deer for his freezer - those rifle rounds were quite impressive to a 15 year old buying 4 or 5 shells for his 20 bore to go grouse hunting.(Dorchester, Ont.)

Yes - the .32/30, Ron. There are already lots of .357 rifles - Marlins and Winchesters.

Then there's the .218Bee - I shot over 7,500 rounds through my Ruger #1B and that rifle is it's new owner's favourite for plinking at the ranges.

Easy, low pressure Lil'Gun loads will drive 40gr. at 3,300fps with it from 26" tubes - no more pressure than factory ammo's 2,840fps w/45gr.

That easily makes it a 300yard ground hog rifle - or with TSX 45gr. at the same speed - a good little whitetailed deer rifle.

The #1 and that powder 'loaded to the nuts' will drive the 40gr. bullets at over 3,600fps.

At over 8,000 rounds with the original 400cases (now over 20 reloads each, because I lost some of the cases on a rat shoot), the rifles' owner is still using my original brass - wonder what the pressure actually is, the brass lasting so well - oh yeah - never been annealed, either. Tight chamber - good dies - Hornady, love 'em. The .408" rim makes that an exceptionally strong case.

Lots of good to say about the .218B Bee ctg.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com