Rhodes
(.275 member)
24/05/13 08:47 PM
Re: project 500 nitro

Quote:

Not wanting to state the obvious too loudly. Ellis' light for calibre, muzzle heavy .450 NE can be, at least to some extent, rectified by adding weight to the buttstock and thereby moving the balance point back to the hinge pin.

I think that'd increase it's weight (minorly) and improve it's handling (majorly).

bwana

This would actually add weight to the extreme's of the gun, not condusive to good handling. Try it yourself. Get a broomstick, tape some heavy weights to the ends, hold the broomstick in the middle and spin it in an arc back and forth around the central point. Now move the weights to the middle of the broomstick, grip either side of the weights and try the move again. Much easier. It's all about inertia. You need the extra weight around the action.

felix

John Hunter was a PH of some repute in Africa for most of his life back around the 1920's & 30's. He wrote that his favourite double rifle for dangerous game was a 500NE weighing 10.5 pounds. He wrote that he couldn't handle the recoil from the heavier 577NE and 600NE. I guess weight for caliber depends on the user so make of it what you will. I'm looking forward to your progress with this build, I hope you keep us up to date.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com