Setterguy
(.275 member)
18/01/13 08:14 AM
Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70

I have now completed the barrels for the DR. They are waiting on the completion of the receiver to be regulated. I used one of Bob Hynden's(Birdhunter50)top ribs and it worked out great. It saved me a lot of work making one. Before anyone jumps on me for making a beavertail forearm and being a nontraditionalist I need to say that the Winchester 21 came predominately with a beavertail. So, I am true to the gun. However, you will see in one of the photos that I do have a splinter forearm but I need to refinish the wood. I will try both to see which one I like the most. I will try and keep an open mind. I know this is an area for very strong opinions from the forum group.

As Bob has pointed out to me before, first time builders such as myself frequently err on the side of too much metal on the barrels i.e. too heavy and that is the case for this DR. I should have contoured the barrels more but it seemed right at the time. From the best I can tell the DR will weigh about 11 pounds. That is about 2 pounds more than I wanted but it is what it is. I further contributed to the weight problem by using the dimensions of a 12 ga stock instead of a 20 ga (the receiver and monobloc are 20 ga). I wanted the pistol grip area to be thicker and stronger than the sleek lines of the 20. I probably didn't need to do that either and it will be over designed in all areas I guess. This is a learning process afterall. Please see the pictures below.

Completed Winchester 21 DR 45-70 barrels and forearm

Front Ramp of Bob's top rib

Top rib and 2 leaf folding site. Quarter rib milled for Talley bases

Breech end completed with selective ejectors made and installed. Faced and fitted to standing breech of prototype

I know some of you don't want to look at this picture but please bear with me

Front sling bracket still loose for regulation

Underside of completed breech end

With fitted but not finished splinter forearm

Dishwasher sighted it and helpless

Contact Us NitroExpress.com