Setterguy
(.275 member)
15/01/13 10:54 AM
Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70

First I must correct some errors in my earlier post. I simple didn't read it well enough after typing it. The first error was in the description of the machinist CNC machine vis a vis the scan data. I said he had a two axis machine but, in fact, counting the "Z" axis i.e. the depth then he has a 3 axis machine. What he can't do is rotate the part. He can do X and Y axis as well as depth. The second error I should have seen immediately but didn't until I re-read the post. The pictures I posted and said they were 4340 steel alloy are actually 6Al-4V grade V titanium. We wire cut both the titanium and 4340 in the same manner and at the same time but I posted a picture of the titanium. The picture below is both steel and titanium. The difference is apparent. I was confident of the EDM cutting so we did both but we are using the 4340 steel to mill first to validate the codes. I will be using the 4340 for the DR receivers and the titanium for shotguns.

4340 and grade V titanium wirecut receivers

I will soon show some pictures of the validation process and the steps along the way.---Bill

Contact Us NitroExpress.com