Alasgun
(.224 member)
06/07/12 09:32 AM
New Guy, building first double

Greetings to Everyone;
You can learn a lot while lurking but sooner or later you develop a question and that requires a liitle effort.

I'm a early 60's been a Machinist over 40 years kind of guy and am undertaking my first double rifle. Well, right now I'm gathering rhe pieces while I finish a 4 bore muzzle loading project.

I wanted something "simple" for a first project and am going with the Jones underlever action, which I have roughed in using 8620. The monoblock (4350 @ 45 R-c)is roughed in as well and I believe I'd like to get it barreled before going too far on the action. This will require a little soldering and that's where the question comes in.

I've been all over the net and found some very small tidbits but mostly vagery on this subject. I recently bought the Brown book "Building double rifles on shotgun actions" and was very dissapointed in it's lack of content.

Once I get to laying the ribs i'm good, but for now I am looking for some ideas (from someone who's done this)as to solder type for the 1/4 rib, sling swivel attachment point and the front sight. I believe these should be something other than soft solder.

Any offerings are appreciated.

Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com