DBLGN
(.224 member)
16/06/12 01:49 AM
Re: Build--470 NE

I prefer the 450 #2 from a reloader's stand point. The bottle neck case and the thicker rim make it somewhat easier to reload. I have found the thin .040" rims pull off pretty easily if the case even hesitates a bit in the sizing die. I have overcome a lot of that by going to Hornady's lanolin based paste lube. Still, when you pull the rim off of a brand new $3.00-$5.00 piece of brass, it make you want to cry. Even though the 450 #2 does require more powder to do the same job as the 450-3 1/4", I like the fact that it does it with less chamber pressure.

In reality, like you say, there is no difference in performance between the two and it really comes down to personal choice - which one appeals to you the most.

If you are going to travel a lot, the .470 probably makes the most sense. It is currently the most popular and you stand a better chance of getting ammunition for it somewhere than about any other cartridge. Basically everything that Birdshooter50 said.

Weight: I have, on two guns, added weight to the buttstock (basically a "slug" of lead). While this did add to the overall weight of the gun, the main purpose was to balance the gun. While it seems like there is a lot of other stuff - 1/4-rib, mid-rib, front sight, sling mount, etc. that goes on a set of barrels, the bulk of the weight comes from the contour of the barrels and the difference in diameter between a 12 bore and a 16 bore, amounts to quite a bit of weight. Restocking with denser, heavier wood helps too. Yes, it is possible to add weight, but it is better if it is planned in "upfront" - I did not do that with my first .450.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com