DoubleRifle999
(.224 member)
14/06/12 04:15 AM
Re: Build--470 NE

Thanks for the response Ellis. Oh, and thanks for your work on your book as well. It certainly answers a lot of questions....you said at the top of this thread
Quote:

I like .450's (.450-3 1/4" or, even better, .450 #2) because I can get cheap "dirt bank" bullets in that caliber...

and then in your last post
Quote:

My first double rifle, a .450-3 1/4" N.E., was built on a 16 bore shotgun almost identical to the one you have pictured. It has over 1000 rounds through it and is still going strong and tight. The main issue with the that cartridge in a 16 bore, is that it is a bit light, making the recoil a bit sharper - it only weighs about 9.5 lbs. , should be 10 lbs.

If I am reading you correctly, you prefer the .450 #2 3 1/2 over the .450-3 1/4?? I can't really find much difference between the two except the .450 #2 operates at somewhat lower pressure and requires a little more powder to achieve the same ballistics. I like the idea of an original N.E. cartridge--so am considering both of these as possibilities for a build on the 16 bore. I have not ruled out the 45-70 either. Of course the N.E. rounds have significantly more "punch" (on both ends..!!).
Also, do you think it possible to achieve the intended weight without too much trouble..??? You must have tried it I guess...

Also, with respect to a previous post above, are the rim diameters of the .470 and the .500 the same?? My books do not agree on this...(see above). Also rim thicknesses referenced above??

Please anyone else---step in here and give me the benefit of your knowlege and experience!!

Thanks to all...

Howard

edited for clarity...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com