DoubleRifle999
(.224 member)
16/04/12 05:58 AM
Re: Build--470 NE

Great news---I received Ellis' book on Saturday. I have started through it (about a third of the way) and it is truly an educational source that all potential double gun builders should read. Nice photography and well thought out and commented. Its a keeper!

Also, have to say that Vic Venters book "Gun Craft" is a very classy tome. It is produced and bound in a manner that is very seldom seen today. Beautiful binding and HEAVY, glossy paper that reminds me of leather bound first editions. Extremely well made and very reasonable in price. The paper on which it is printed is so heavy that I constantly find myself checking to see if I am turning more than one page. It too is a keeper!

Also picked up a copy of "Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing" by Steven Hughes. I haven't read much of it yet, but I have glanced through it. Some interesting chapter titles and nice photography. Hope I like it as much as the other two.

I have started cleaning up my two possible donor guns as Bob suggested, and will post some pics as soon as I can. Gun #1 is a Simpson Suhl gun and gun #2 is an AYA gun. Both initially appear to be prety much on face and in good to very good condition. I will be able to tell more after cleaning and reassembly.

Thanks again for the ideas and help!---Howard

Contact Us NitroExpress.com