DoubleRifle999
(.224 member)
07/04/12 02:47 AM
Re: Build--470 NE

Thanks for thoughts and ideas Bob. Nothing is cast in stone at this point. I truly haven't decided about the action for the build. Both of the ones that I have appear to be in good shape, but I haven't done a really detailed analysis yet. I may use one of them or maybe not...? I will certainly do as you suggest and examine them carefully before committing one of them to this project. I am continuing to look around for other possibilities as well. I won't make a final decision until I have read Ellis' book and talked to another old time 'smith friend of mine down in South Carolina.

You mentioned the stock work as a potential factor in a decision. Your suggestions about modifications and the use of a "pattern" stock represent valid and current thought. I will say this though---I have a significant amount of experience building stocks from blanks and will undoubtedly build this one as well. I have a quite nice selection of stock wood to pick from. I have been collecting wood for about twenty years. I have enough to last me several life times. I DO have access to a duplicator, but truthfully have never used it. I typically work from a blank off of a ground surface plate for my layouts and centerlines. I use a handheld router and die grinder to remove heavy amounts of material and the rest of it is done with cabinet rasps, chisels, and small grinding tools while working to a template. Your idea about using a "build-up" for a try stock fitting is a good one. I will probably incorporate some version of that into this build. I am not certain about a cheekpiece. I don't want a hard recoiling gun smacking me in the face---and I have always favored a "classic" style of rifle stock. So....??? I realize that small cheekpieces are frequently seen on these guns, so I may be enticed to try one. As far as stock fitting goes, I have been through a fitting done by Orvis a couple of years ago and still have their measurements. It was for a shotgun though----not certain how those measurements would correlate to a double rifle. Actually, thinking about it now, I'm pretty certain that most of those measurements would be of no real value. Shooting a shotgun is SO different from a rifle!

I am getting more anxious to get started on this---I need to take my time and do it right though. Maybe if I can figure it out, I will post a few pics of some of my previous stuff (stocks, engraving, pistol builds, etc...). I am not sure how it works on this forum....I will try to figure it out.

I want to say thanks again to everyone for the good advice and please continue offering your thoughts. I will try to keep this current...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com