Setterguy
(.275 member)
14/01/12 11:43 AM
Winchester 21 DR in 45-70

I am starting a new post but actually it is continuation of my previous thread titled Optimal Load for a 45-70. That title was not really supportive of the content. So, anyone new can read the previous thread for background. I have progressed some on the barrels and the receiver is just beginning to be worked on. I have basically lost a year on building the receiver; disappointing! I have not posted pictures of the barrels as yet but will try with this post. Daryl helped last time but it is time I learned myself-------we will see if it works. I have titles and descriptions on the pictures so I hope they follow as well. Here goes---Bill

Winchester 21 20 ga barrels as a donor monobloc

45-70 barrels attached and filed to contour. Front forearm lug soldered inplace.

Breech end ruff chambered for 45-70. Needs to be faced, rim cut and extractors milled in.

45-70 barrels permanently in Win. 21 20 monobloc. Note breech end top must be milled to accept Birdhunter50's top rib. The entire barrel set is in need of striking and polishing.

Closer picture of the original mating of the Winchester barrels. Again will be milled to accept Bob's top rib.

Muzzel end with ruff crowning and temporary spacers between barrels.

Side view of the barrels.

Side view of the barrels with Birdhunter50's top rib setting on top. Breech still not milled out to accept ribs.

Top view with Bob's top rib in setting in place.

Previously posted side view of the prototype 21 receiver I am making. It is ruff milled and currently (today) the top tang was made and shaped to a stock. It must be filed, sanded and polished inside and out to ensure all the internals function properly.

Top view of the ruff milled receiver. More pictures of the receiver and forearm parts on the previous thread.

I will post more pictures as I hopefully make some progress------------Bill

Contact Us NitroExpress.com