lancaster
(.470 member)
23/02/10 05:47 AM
Which action for a homemade double rifle

I was visiting a lokal gunmaker today and because you double rifle homemade guy’s allways scratching your head about the question of all questions

Which action for a double rifle project?

It may interest you to know what the gunmaker’s here in the evil empire use. I must say that this master has learning his business in Suhl like all other profesional’s here. He have allways one or two double rifle to make and this year after year. The price is fair. 2000-3000 euro depending on the work nessesary. All double’s he made are in 8x57IRS, because its what the common hunter here like and know. He had never have any failure’s with the action in all the time. I was asking him if its strong enough for the 9,3x74r and he doesn’t see a problem with this.

And whats now the starting point for his work?

….. any 16 ga double gun made in Suhl between 1950 and 1990 in good condition, this means the action is tight, is good enough to build a 8x57IRS double rifle from.
Any! Because they all the same!
Pre war is colleting stuff today and the new actions are hardened.

He allways let the barrels soldered in Suhl because of time and money. So he gets the rifle allready proofed from there back and finish then the rest.
The barrels are cut 70-80mm from the breech end( its maybe the shotgun cartridge chamber length) and then the rifled barrels will be soft soldered in the shotgun barrel ends. New barrel ribs are soldered.
he can guarantee for the barrels shooting together in a 4 cm circle on 100 meter distance.

thinking you like to see

pic's

new made barrel set, proofed in Suhl

the muzzle end

the red arrow shows the line between old shotgun and rifle barrel

the muzzle again

this is a similar rifle but close to be finish. Its having now recknagel sight’s and a Suhl claw mount.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com