tinker
(.416 member)
14/12/20 04:05 AM
Krag Sporting Rifle

I had been trolling for images of Krag sporters (not an unusual pursuit) when I found this one for sale.

It's very handy, nicely done, and it's accurate with the only load that I've yet put through it.

The action metal was properly made off before blacking. Notice the checkered steel buttplate, Lyman-48 aperture sight, Pacific banded ramp front sight, and it at one point the 25" barrel had been fitted with dovetail blocks for something like a Lyman 5-A field scope.

The wood is solid, the checkering is very nice, the inletting was done by a man not a machine.

So far the only marking I've seen on the rifle besides the Springfield Armory markings is a pair of point stampings and the number 50 inside the toe of the steel buttplate.

I don't know who built the rifle.

I'm looking at getting a Malcolm 6x scope and mounts to put on dovetail blocks for it, and I might actually have one before Christmas. We'll see.

In the meantime I'll be shooting it.
It has/had a bonafide patina and burnished grime from decades of service and handling. I gently freed up the adjustments for the Lyman-48 to get it set for zero and further running of the slide and fine elevation knob. I shoot at extended range here at home and I'll be exercising this rifle on steel to at least 600 yards for right now and further as I get it up to speed.

Hopefully I'll get a good cast bullet load going for it without too much effort. Cross a finger for me. Feel free to share your 30 caliber cast bullet wisdom with me. Get preachy if you feel so inclined.

If anyone has an idea as to who built it, also feel free to comment.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com