93x64mm
(.416 member)
08/01/18 07:12 AM
Re: Model of 1910 .280 Sporting Rifle

Quote:

Despite many recent distractions, all components needed to get the .280s shooting are assembled at last.

In the end, cases were easy to make from .300 Win Mag brass. Just full-length size, trim, and neck/shoulder anneal. No need to remove the belt, as is often suggested. In fact, removing the belt would result in a badly undersized case-head and could be dangerous IMHO.

Bullets are the marvellous 160gr Woodleigh Protected Points intended for the .275 H&H. Hopefully the sequence of AR2209 (H4350) loads I assembled today will push them safely towards 2800 fps or thereabouts.

There is still room for a couple of issues to arise however. If either rifle has excess headspace it could require a false-shoulder for proper fire-forming (haven't measured headspace in either rifle), and uneven neck thickness could shorten case life since the lower part of the newly-formed neck includes some of the shoulder from the donor case and I haven't neck-reamed. Loaded rounds chamber just fine though.

All I need now is an hour of sunshine over the weekend to arc-up the chronograph. Our wet season is just getting started so no guarantees, but will report if successful.

Wish me luck!

Hey mate I don't mean to rain on your parade - but isn't the 300WM cases rather small in the head in regards to using them in this chamber?
http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd280ross.jpg

Contact Us NitroExpress.com