eagle27
(.400 member)
26/06/16 08:34 AM
Re: Schultz and Larsen 54j

Quote:

I made 50 more pieces of brass out of 7mm remington mag just using the sizing die, no problem.

Has anyone used the 173 grain hirtenberger bullet for hunting? I want a good timber load. I thought it might be too long for the 1:12 twist but to my surprise it is actually shorter than the 154 grain hornady spitzer. So I don't see why it won't shoot as well or better. Don't know how well it is constructed. If it is designed for the 7mm Mauser it might open a little too quick at 7x61 velocities.

Stability of projectiles is not so much a factor of their overall length it is more affected by their centre of gravity. A spitzer bullet of a weight approaching that of a heavier round nose bullet, as is the case of the 154gr Hornady, will have a longer overall length but the centre of gravity will see it stabilise easier than say the long shanked 175gr which will have the centre of gravity closer to the nose.
The higher the velocity that the heavier bullet is driven will also assist with stability in a barrel with a twist that is not quite ideal.

I think any of the 173-175gr 7mm bullets would be fine in the 7x61. The Hirtenbergers were usually nicely constructed bullets and a 173-175gr 7mm is a long bullet with plenty of base to hold it together even if the expansion is greater in the higher velocity cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com