lancaster
(.470 member)
27/02/16 05:38 AM
Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen

so the last mystery is solved: how to disassemble the M 42 bolt

I have got pics from canada coming over denmark showing the stutzen SN 615 bought after seeing the link in this thread above from P&S Guns/ Canada. there is another new owner of a M 42 because of this post here so better be careful!
Gunnar, the new owner is a Schultz&Larsen collector, pure danish breed and walk around the world in his life working as a game keeper/professional hunter.

one of the pics showing he was brave enough to disassembele the bolt something I dont have done till now because not knowing where to start and fear to break anything.

He was kind enough to make "How To Do It" pics and give a short instruction and because this is something you can not find anywhere I will post it here for the benefit of the classic rifle collector community.

"1: Bolt # 615, disassemble.

2: remove firing pin indicator from rear, img 2

3: remove the 2 side screws from rear housing, one on each side img 3

4: If bolt can not be un-screwed by hand, set up front part of bolt in vice, use appropriate pliers and protective buffers not to mar the metal, turn rear housing loose, remove from vice and turn the front part from rear the housing and the locking lugs, take care not to loose the spring loaded pointer. img 7

5: Now the firing pin and spring can be removed for cleaning, if this has not been done for a number of years there is likely a build-up of dried grease, which can be cause of miss firing. img 10

6: If need to the safety leaver and the spring loaded pointer can also be removed from rear housing via bolt from front side of rear housing.

7: assemble in reverse

8: Bushing for the back of firing pin spring, which fits inside the threaded front part of bolt, when bolt is screwed together. This bushing go in the rear housing with large diameter first, note the serial no. stamped on it show that parts were made to fit individual bolts. img 24/ img 24-1

10: firing pin and spring back in front part of bolt

11: Needed or not a little molylube on shaft where the locking lugs turn

12: spring loaded pointer into front part of rear housing

13: hand turn front part into rear housing, as you keep locking part and rear housing stationary, not to twist as pointers grap OK img 29

14: Now remember step "8" bushing, this bushing has to fit into the front part of bolt and support the firing pin spring, If the bushing do not slip inside, screw back and fort a little until you feel it has slide inside, there is no need for force.

15: set up in vice and snug the parts together. I think this bolt 615 has newer been disassembled and at no time found I any screws excessively tight.

16: Note the 2 side screws for the rear housing is not alike and go into individual screw holes, this prevent the bolt from come loose. img31

17: finaly screw in the firing pin indicator at the rear."

well, it worked for me

I was surprised to see this bolt is not made in on piece but a very clever design and ahead of its time. the light and therefore very quick firing pin shows this was made as a target rifle in the beginning.
thank you very much for the work

Contact Us NitroExpress.com