FinnCollector
(.224 member)
03/01/16 07:54 PM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

Quote:

To reply to
"As for 9.3x57 & szihn's comments...would you think about doing the same modifications to a pre-WW1 DWM Mauser?"

The answer is YES \If the rifle was in such poor condition that it had lost 90-95 percent of any collectors value before I ever got hold of it.
the Mosin in my post was in very poor condition. If it had been a US Westinghouse or a SIG, I would still have done the same work to it because I made a nice usable rifle that may last a another 100 years from one that was on its way to the trash bin.
I wish I had before an after pics, but I think even the most die-hard collector would agree I did it good if they could have seen what I started with.

I did the same. My .50 Alaskan was built off of a junk 1928 Tula ex-dragoon rifle that had a barrel like a sewer pipe, completely pitted. It came from a container of rifles that had come out of Romania, originally sent to Gheorghiu-Dej after WWII to be re-arsenaled & put in service, but abandoned and put in storage when they received the tooling to build the M44. I paid $100 USD for 3 rifles ($33/ea), each missing small items like handguards, barrel bands, or sight hoods. If it was in the shape of the author's rifle, I never would have considered it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com