Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
25/12/14 09:05 AM
Re: Savage Model 45 Super Sporter .300 Savage

Quote:

Wow! Pine tar?? Is this the same goop we used to use as a base on cross country skis?? Any info on that finish would be appreciated!
Doug

Yes . The same pine tar that we used as a base for Nordic skis before waxing has the same waterproofing properties on gunstocks . The problem is that it is thick and messy to apply . How I get around this is mixing the purest form of Scandinavian pine tar with 100% pure Tung oil which itself has excellent waterproofing qualities .This thins out the mixture for ease of application . What the pine tar also brings to the compound is the gripping non sticky qualities on wood in cold wet weather . This is why baseball players use it on bats .Also this pine tar Tung oil mixture leaves a non glare matte finish on gunstocks . I have tested dozens of products and mixtures for water proofing wood and this is by far the best I have used . BTW boiled linseed oil has almost zero waterproofing qualities and any experienced woodworker will tell you that . Pine tar has been around since the Vikings used it and IMO is still the best

Contact Us NitroExpress.com