Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
16/12/14 10:56 AM
Savage Model 45 Super Sporter .300 Savage

This is my Savage Deluxe Model 45 Super Sporter in .300 Savage .Originally purchased by my GrandFather in Butte Montana in the late 1920's to the best of my knowledge .Our family used this rifle for years to harvest all sorts of big game . My Dad used it to take his first Elk and Mountain Goat .I killed my first Deer , Moose and Bear with this rifle.My Dad also killed his last Deer with the Savage at over 80 years old. It has accumulated probably close to 100 head of large game in its lifetime. The Savage Super Sporter was made from 1926 to 1940 to the best of my knowledge.My Stoeger catalogs from the '30's list the Deluxe model in the mid 50$ range ,about the same as the Winchester 54 and a few dollars less than the Remington 30 . It is quite an excellent rifle .The Super Sporter feeds from a 4 round box magazine and is one of the slickest feeding bolt action rifles I have ever used.It has twin locking lugs with the bolt handle as a third lug.Twin clip Sako like extractors have never failed in many years afield.The Lyman peep sights are lightning fast on a target.The trigger is about 4 pounds with a crisp break and was considerably better than the Winchester 54,Remington 30 ,Mausers and Mosins of its day . The Super Sporter is a very well balanced rifle and a pleasure to shoot .Its very accurate ; I have no problem getting moa groups from field positions which was probably enhanced when I bedded the action lug back in the late 70's when I was a kid.The stock is excellent grade Walnut with lots of Tiger striping .Years ago the original finish started to wear off so I removed what was left and finished the stock with Pine Tar wiped on and left to soak in in the hot mountain sun .The Pine Tar finish still looks good today. We always shot Winchester Silver tip ammo out of the Super Sporter .I chronoed some old 180's last year at about 2400 fps out of the 24" barrel .My reloads now duplicate that old load. These rifles are not well known but I was surprised to see a mint Deluxe Model selling at Cabelas for $900 recently. The $50 my GrandFather spent many years ago was money well spent as this is a rifle that has proved to be reliable and accurate through the many years of its service.It is a unique survivor of an era long ago.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com