Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
06/12/13 12:11 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

Quote:

Quote:

As it was very light in color I dunked in some water to show the grain .Needless to say I am pleased.

That sure looks like a Grade Extra Fancy piece of Arctic Birch! It actually looks a lot like the grain on Mannerheims Mosin in the museum.

Bokmal ,I found the wood almost by chance after searching and calling many (over 20) wood suppliers. The guy even forgot he had had it and the Tag on the blank said " Flame Birch Finland" It had been in his Barn/shop for over 20 years! The stock is so close grained you would not need to put stock oil on it. It has zero pores. I am going to use light coats of Teak oil for finishing to bring out the grain further .The stock coloring is very yellow underneath with dark flame throughout .When you look at the stock at different angles new flame pops up making it seem 3D. This stock and rifle are meant to represent Field Marshal Mannerheim who I consider to be one of the greatest leaders ever who has always been an inspiration to me and noting will be spared in its building.Here are a couple more pictures from different angles

Contact Us NitroExpress.com