DesertDrifter
(.224 member)
04/04/13 03:29 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

My interest in the Mosin-Nagant was slow in developing. As I came across articles and stories about the rifle my interest deepened. With that I bought my first Mosin-Nagant and been hooked ever since. I came across this thread nearly a year ago and visited it regularlly. I appreciated and drooled over the many fine sporterized rifles in this thread. The knowledge I learned from the postings of this forum actually prepared to me to realize this rifle was something special when It became available to me.

From what I can gather this sporterized Remington 1917 dates to around the 1920's. It has some interesting characteristics. You can appreciate the skill of the craftsman to make a nice rifle with only what he had available to work with. The barrel was shortened to 26 inches with a banded and hooded front sight installed.

Note in the picture below how a section of walnut was grafted into the original stock so a pistol grip could be formed.

A Pacific R1 aperture sight was installed on the cocking piece.

From an article in the 1998 Gun Digest 53rd annual addition titled "Russian Sporters" by Jim Foral I learned that the pistol grip cap and forend cap could have been made from discarded automobile battery housings.

This era is refered to as the "Golden Age" of military surplus sporterizing in America and very much in vogue. Commerical bolt action rifles were not quite available in numbers to the american sportsman as the demand require so many rifles were sporterized in sheds, garages and kitchens across the land.

This is my first post. I hope I have done my homework well enough to get it to post the way I hope.

'drif

Contact Us NitroExpress.com