9.3x57
(.450 member)
20/03/13 05:17 AM
Re: excuse me, I bought an assault rifle

Another super thread from lancaster!!

Check this out;

http://www.imageevent.com/willyp/firearmsalbums/usww1aefused1907winchester351sl

The bit about the Win SLR's being used as the conceptual ancestors of the US .30 Caliber carbine has been repeated a lot and makes sense. Tho not exactly light, they certainly have a handiness about them that makes their use as a "PDW" pretty second nature.

I've always thought a modernized .351 round in a sized-up Williams-designed Carbine would have earned the Carbine more respect than it got by some.

Regardless, the .351 was indeed used by the French in WW1 {as were some Model 8 .35's} and the .351 has also been stated to have been common in the prison systems in various States. I cannot figure if such guns were ever bought in bulk by the Federal system tho. Also, I have read that the .351's were used by BBS/USDA/APHIS/WS's personnel for wolf and coyote control from aircraft but I have not been able to drum up a USDA document proving it.

Great thread, lancaster.

The SLR has a very weird recoil system. Very interesting and sort of overengineered, but seemingly effective.

I am fascinated with the guns lancaster drums up in Europe.

Maybe some day he'll post a thread demonstrating the commonplace existence of the MP40 Maschinenpistole on Western European farmsteads....................

Keep it up, lanc!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com