FrankS
(.300 member)
24/06/12 07:41 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

I have a Finnish reworked moisin model 27 that I got in a trade. At the time I just figured it was just another moisin among millions that were made. Was I wrong!!The first thing I normally do with any rifle is take it apart and clean it. The tip off was the shims under the receiver ring. That and the beautiful VKT barrel. At the time there was no non corrosive ammo available except for Norma. I lucked out and did manage to find a few boxes of Hansen Cartridge non corrosive ammo. This rifle was to be my introduction into the world of cast bullets. C.E.Harris had an article in gun digest about shooting cast bullets in military surplus rifles. So slugged the bbl and ordered a lyman #314299 bullet mold. The rest was history. 2" groups easily at 100yds.
Lyman 3314299 sized to .3135 bore slugged at .3115
Imr 4759 20grs
win large rifle primers
hansen cases neck sized only
javelina lube
Bullet seated out to just kissing the lands won't feed from the magazine because the bullet/case is too long
So this particular rifle will never see a jacketed bullet as long as I have it and its been going on for like this for about 17 years. I'm thinking that more folks should try cast bullets in these rifles. their accuracy might just suprise you.
Frank

Contact Us NitroExpress.com