lancaster
(.470 member)
18/02/12 06:16 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

Quote:

Lancaster, been following this project since it started. It definitely has taken on a life of its own.
That plus all the other rifles that just seem to blend in with the build theme. I've a octagon receiver and spare parts squirreled away someplace. Funny thing, you can get moisins here in the U.S. for about $100 and for the most part (good barrel of course) they shoot way out of proportion as to their cost. My first introduction to the moisin is/was a model 27 Finnish rework. But the best part was the barrel. The barrel is marked VKT which I am told is "of TIKA" manufacture. Bright shiny lands and grooves. Shoots cast bullets very well. Thanks for keeping us posted on your project. Probably the most interesting one I've seen. Frank

good luck frank

when I was starting this many people I told it( and I dont told it many at all)were shaking their heads mildly. the best argument they had was that I would never be able to get my money back if I sold it sometimes.
well , I never had the intention to sold the rifle. thats how people can complete misunderstand you.

if I can give you good advise:

allways look how it was made in the old times with classic rifle's - there is a reason they became classic's

slime and trim all parts so much as possible

use classic methods like rust bluing and oil stocks

set classic iron sights on the barrel, without it will never being complete

the scope mount is a very critical point, avoid modern rail mounts and similar stuff
there is no doubt that a claw mount is the most esthetic solution but this is maybe not possible for you. I would recommand a german sidemount as the second best.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com