Grenadier
(.375 member)
31/01/12 02:00 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

The .405 Grenadier is still being explored. Only preliminary individually "hand-made" loads have been fired. I am waiting for the custom reloading dies before I get serious about working it up fully. In the Marlin rifle I expect to get a little over 90% of the velocity of the .405 Winchester cartridge. I am expecting 2000fps +/- with the 300gr Hornady. As I get it fleshed out I will post on a separate thread.

However, higher velocities would be obtainable in a bolt rifle like the Siamese, Mosin-Nagant, or Lee Enfield. In a strong bolt action I think you could get velocities that would be on the heels of the 450-400 NE. As pointed out above, the 7.62x54R is a 390 MPa (57,000 psi) cartridge. A bolt rifle will allow for a greater overall cartridge length and allow the use of 400gr bullets.

The .405 Grenadier was developed for the Marlin 1895. It has some real advantages over the .45-70 cartridge in that rifle but I will save addressing those for another time. Just let me say that once I started playing with the .405 Grenadier I realized it would only reach its true potential in a bolt rifle. As mentioned, I have acquired a Siamese Mauser. After I get some dies and work up loads for the Marlin, I will turn to the Siamese.

Meanwhile, if someone wants to try the cartridge out in a Mosin-Nagant, I am open to loaning the reamer out. The only concern I have is that it might go to a beginner who buggers it up so I have to order another. Bearing that in mind, I will freely lend it out so long as it comes back to me within a reasonable time and in good condition. If there is a member who is serious about trying it out in a Nagant then send me a PM (personal message). I would love to see a Mosin-Nagant sporter in this cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com