Cashman
(.224 member)
23/01/12 03:52 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

Quote:

hello cashman

did I understand right that the sako brass is headstamped 12,4x55R? never heard or see this before. was it ever an "official" brass case...
will this case also accept a .475 diameter bullet?

Now, when I read my own text, I understand why you would think that...
Sorry if I explained it poorly. The BOX, that the cases come, in is stamped with 12,4x55R, NOT the case itself. The case has only the Sako stamp and is otherwise plain. It has never been an official case.

Lapua made an even longer version they used for the “12x75R squirrel shotgun” but haven´t made them for a while. Igorrock might know more about that since (if I remember correctly) he shot his first squirrel with one of those shotguns. Don´t know if that was an official caliber either. There were quite a few shotguns made from Mosins after the war.

Whether this case can be fitted with a .475 bullet, I don´t know, but it would be quite a straight cartridge and thus hard to get to work properly in a bolt action rifle. I´m only guessing though…

I have found an official source that can provide me with a few more cases, but after that I´m sad to say, that even I have to start using expanded 9,3x53R cases. Neither Sako nor Lapua makes them anymore, but there are still lots of them around.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com