9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/12/11 02:13 AM
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

Beat me to it!

Thanks kuduae.

In addition, the light 9mm Mak FMJ bullets make for grouse loads in the 9.3 rifles. Maybe won't work too well in some of the overbore Swedes, but should go well with true .366 rifles. A load of fast burning pistol powder should take care of it, and if you like, a "Cat's Sneeze" load is another option.

Also, if you look back many years, I think you will find other USSR sporting arms marketed in English, too. IIRC, I've seen various ammo and even the Medved was marketed with English material, tho I cannot verify the latter. Also, I am not aware of any sale of the 9x53 Medved in any English country at at any time. Maybe somebody knows? I remember reading about it when I was a young man and thinking "The Commies really have something here...wish I could get one!"

lanc; I am fascinated by your whole thread. I wrote piece for Wolfe Publishing in the early 90's on the M/N and had a collection of them, and really came to respect them. I always wanted a 9,3x53R but never got around to building one...then met the 9,3x57's and gave up on the idea. Your whole project is absolutely fascinating with its resurrection of this great old idea. And I'm sure the end result will be worthy of much shooting and piles of Moose, too!

Fröhliche Weinachten und auch Waidmansheil, natürlich!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com