CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
12/08/09 01:12 AM
Winchester High Wall custom varminter

Recently I bought a scanner so I could convert my old photos, negatives, and slides to digital format. Wow, what a trip down memory lane!

Here is a photo of a fabulous custom Winchester High Wall I had built in the early 1980's. It is being held by the man who made it, this photo taken about the time I took delivery.

It's a High Wall with double set triggers. The block has the Neidner-Mann gas proof firing pin modification. Stock attachment was converted to a thru-bolt for strength. It has a match-grade Shilen barrel chambered in .257 Roberts rimmed (brass formed from .444 Marlin or 7x57 rimmed). Quarter rib. As I recall, I topped it with a Weaver Micro-track 12x scope. The wood is a nice piece of Circassion walnut. Ebony tip. Wrap around checkering. It was an outstanding build and quite a rifle.

My varmint hunting came to an end in the late '80's, and at that time I had the rifle re-barreled to the .375/.444 cartridge. It was a ripper in that configuration.

Sadly, I sold the rifle in 1996 and it is off to the world. Maybe a member here owns it now?

Here's a close crop of the rifle taken from the above photo scan:

Enjoy,
Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com