VonGruff
(.400 member)
06/08/09 06:14 AM
Re: Bells Rigby 303

Quote:

What 1899 model do you mean? A Remington Lee 1899?? (They made sporters of those too). Or a Lee Enfield MkI* made in 1899? If the latter, has it already been sporterized or does it still have all its military fittings?

It is an ex New Zealand military with the sold out of service markings but while I have been told it is a cut down Long Tom the barrel is just 25 inches looks to have an origional non adjustable front sight. Top wood is gone and forend is shortened. Butstock is not too pretty either. Barrel is good with sharp rifling but it is at the GS at the moment as I had a casehead seperation and the front part of the case is stuck in the chamber. Thought to re-stock as in the sporter style shown and tidy the chamber and barrel exterior and put on an aperture rear sight. With the sighting system at present there is no means of windage adjustment and while it will put its bullets into an agreeably small place they are a few inches to the left so it is only up to close bush work.It has not had a safety fitted nor a mag cut-off plate so thought it bo be just another one of the many old Enfields out here. I only paid NZ$50 for it a few years ago as a starter rifle for my son.

Von Gruff.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com