awo425
(.224 member)
16/06/09 04:46 AM
Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R

The S&B 193grn bullest are exactly .366", with N120 or something like taht one could push them real fast, Quickload gives around 800m/s
But I do not hunt with that rifle and for paperpunching the 659m/s are good enough for me.
The loads last time were not good, the lead bullets are crapp. Too bad, H&N do not make the 9,3mm CUHS any more, would have been a nice plinker.

I do not knwo the history of th3 9,3x53r, but there were many cartridges based on that case there, ranging from .25 up to .375 in bullet size. They had lots of Mosin actions and also quite a few Winchesters to convert. Also Arisakas and Mausers were modified, but mostly you see Mosins in the gunshops and gunshows. Good collecting field fo rme:-)

My Vetterli is a swiss M78-81, so it never was to Finland, they only had the earlier M69 and M71, brought there during russo -japanese war by a ship named "Grafton" togeher with some Webley revolvers.
So both the Webleys and the Vetterlis are known as Graftons in Finland even nowerdays.
There is a picture of a moose hunt in finnish Hunting Museum of Riihimäki, showing a Vetterli.
A lead slug of 320grn at 400m/s should also be a good moosekiller.

I form my brass from PPU cases, way cheaper for me, as they were already here, got plenty of Mosins to feed. But normaly I use S&B cases for them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com