mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
14/03/09 12:56 PM
Re: a dangerous game rifle from Denmark

Hey Lancaster,

You brought back some pleasant memories so I hope this is a good reciprocal gesture. Pictures of Dansborg Fort neat Tranquebar.

FYI this was just an hour by bus from my former hometown of Madras. The Madras museum also has a fantastic weapons wing with a huge number of guns and cannon that were taken by Admiral Draper from Tranquebar. When I was a boy my parents sold our ancestral house on Popham's Broadway as it was then called after my grandfather died and moved to Monteith Road, just across the road from the Madras Museum. The cannon are kept in the open and anyone can go and examine them. The small arms are inside - I think the arms gallery receives as many unique visitors as the rest of the museum does if not more.

There are several trusts dedicated to preserving the Fort and parts of the town and the old Dutch houses are very valuable as holiday homes for the wealthy in that part of the country.

We also have a leading Indian industrialist TT Vasu whose wife Steena is from the SOuth of Sweden and who has some Danish ancestry who does a lot of work to preserve the history of this location.

And before I get carried away, lovely old rifle. I hope you don't mind the off-topic rant.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com