GeezerD
(.224 member)
29/01/14 10:49 AM
Krag Sporting Rifle ( pics added )

I recently acquired a Krag sporting rifle that is of very high quality. It has Marquart Precision engraved on the barrel and the stockwork was done by Dale Tuttle. I was just wondering if anybody is familiar with either of these names.

It has an English walnut stock with fine line checkering,Lyman aperature sights,can-jar single set trigger, ebony tip, and checkered steel buttplate.

I will post some pics as soon as I can figure out how.

GeezerD [image][/image] [image][/image] [image]http://[/image] [image]http://[/image] [image]http://[/image]

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/01/14 05:08 PM
Re: Krag Sporting Rifle

sounds great!

lancaster
(.470 member)
03/02/14 08:51 PM

would be nice to see the rifle complete
no expert for american rifles but it looks like a high quality american made sporting rifle. I think you did well because there will allways be a demand for this kind of rifles in the united states by collectors.

headoftheholler
(.275 member)
03/02/14 11:25 PM

I've built all sorts of sporter rifles on everything between a mosin to a 98 mauser and everything in between, yet a Krag has always eluded me.

GeezerD
(.224 member)
04/02/14 01:35 AM

I was able to talk to the stockmaker. This rifle was built in 1985 using an unissued Krag action acquired from the DCM. Paul Marquart did all of the metalwork including one of his match grade barrels.

I have always wanted a Krag sporting rifle but I naver expected to find one of this level of workmanship. Purchasing this rifle was probably my most serious act of fiscal misconduct to date.

Fortunatly, my wife can't tell the difference between a Holland and Holland and a Harrington and Richardson but she can count.
GeezerD

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/02/14 04:35 AM

That is a nice rifle!!

I currently have a Krag in my lockup - and I like it very much. I do think it would make a lovely iron sighted sporter for hunting here - or about any where, in .30/40 or .303.

lancaster
(.470 member)
04/02/14 05:26 AM

there is a difference between Holland and Holland and Harrington and Richardson???

GeezerD
(.224 member)
04/02/14 07:47 AM

Quote:

there is a difference between Holland and Holland and Harrington and Richardson???

There is a huge difference. Have you ever tried to interchange parts between them ? ------ GeezerD

tinker
(.416 member)
04/02/14 10:56 AM

This rifle looks great.
Full view photo please!

Cheers
Tinker

GeezerD
(.224 member)
05/02/14 05:37 AM

Here is a full length photo ----------- GeezerD [image][/image]

GeezerD
(.224 member)
07/02/14 01:00 AM

A couple of days ago, our temperature climbed all the way to 22 degrees F. So, in a fit of spring fever I went to the range.

The only ammo I had was 17rds.of vintage Rem. 180 gr.RN. After firing a few to verify sight adjustment, I was able to put 5 shots into 2 1/2 inches @ 100 yds.

The only issue I had was the front sight blade being hard to see. Other than that, I was very pleased with the performance. I can't wait for some warmer weather.

GeezerD

A10ACN
(.300 member)
09/02/14 08:08 PM

So nice! Great lines and very nice work all around. A Krag sported has been on my list for some time.

GeezerD
(.224 member)
01/04/15 02:54 AM

I feel badly about having to sell this but retirement is more expensive than I thought it would be.------- GeezerD

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=475812398

mckinney
(.400 member)
01/04/15 04:11 AM

There were several of Mark Benneson's Krags in the recent Amoskeag auction, including a G&H, Niedner, Sedgely, and one by Jerry Fisher that went for $12K. I wanted the Griffin but didn't bid aggressively enough. It was in .25-35. I think your rifle will hold its own against the best of them. Very attractive rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com