DarylS
(.700 member)
17/12/23 05:15 AM
Re: .30 and 9mm airgun slugs

I guess I am an airgun freak. LOL. I own 4 .25 calibre PCP air rifles, along with a couple 22 Cal. PCP rifles, as well as a couple Weihrauch model 97 springers, in .177 and .22.

The most powerful is an AirForce Condor, which will drive my cast 51gr. flat nose, boat tail bullets at well over 1,000fps.
The way the rifle us currently set up, I am shooting 25.89gr. JSB Hades pellets (skirted) at 1,074fps with good accuracy to 120yards. Normally this pellet's accuracy falls off past 80yards, but not in this rifle. Just lucky. I shoot 2" diameter rocks on our silhouette range.

My best air rifle is an FX, made in Sweden, the Dreamline model. It also is .25 calibre, however it does not produce the power of the Air Force rifle, however, it is a beautiful rifle (for an air rifle) & like the Condor and my Aselkon MX9 in .25, will produce 1/2" 5 and 10 shot groups at 55yards.

Air rifles are just like RF and CF rifles, in that they shoot best with particular pellets and/or slugs and not with others. One must experiment with them to find what they want to shoot.
My Condor and FX along with a couple Weihrauch springers prefer the JSB Hades pellets in .177, .22 and .25, however the Aselkon MX9 prefers the 34.95gr. JSB heavy pellet.
I also have a .45 calibre SamYang rifle that is legal for small big game in B.C., like deer, Black Bear and wolves.

I do not consider this rifle powerful enough for the game it is legal to use on. It needs a power boost modification by a friend who lives in Red Deer, Alberta, if I ever get around to sending it to him.

There are some air rifles not on the market capable of shooting large game of NA. I would say all except the big bears and buffalo. Need more power for those.
The AEA Zeus in .72 calibre comes to mine. Lots of videos on line on it shooting and shooting deer, hogs and etc.

None of the slugs available have grease grooves & they are dead soft lead so they expand when shot from sub-sonic air guns.
I am testing Neilson Sugs in my HW97 in .22, as well as the cast slugs (NOE mould) in the Condor. The other .25 calibre rifles don't like them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com