3DogMike
(.400 member)
27/05/23 07:42 AM
Re: Getting my two .577 BPE doubles

Quote:

Getting my two .577 BPE double rifles soon. 1 by Friday and the other hopefully by June. I have brass but still need to find .585 cast bullets and dies. Anyone know where I can look?

casper,
Just based upon my "vintage" and also "antique" .577's I'd wait to get the rifles in hand and slug the bores. Seemingly a lot of the 1880's to 1900 BP and NfB .577's run closer to .590' up to .595" in the grooves. That early Wilkinson & Son could surprise you, I have an 1873 vintage Steven Grant double that is .602" in the grooves.
Of course if you use Black Powder the (possibly) smaller .585" bullets will bump up to work OK if not too hard an alloy.
…..Buffalo Arms does show a set of ch4D .577 dies in stock.
- Mike

Quote:

……….(snip)...
I ordered an oak gun case from England only to have it conficated because it had "gun" in the description. It was an empty oak box!!
--------------------
RB

RB,
This was possibly via Ebay? Last year I scored a vintage tin of Rangoon Oil (empty of course) and it was intercepted by eBay/British Post and destroyed because the advert mentioned the words "gun oil".
eBay/PayPal cannot abide an international shipment of ANYTHING with the word "gun" involved.
I got my money back, the vendor unfortunately got stuffed.

- Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com