DarylS
(.700 member)
04/03/21 10:43 AM
Re: Talk to me about Paper Patch

I use just such a board as well, for applying patches. IIRC, Paul covers that, does he not?
With mine, the flat base of the bullet just had the damp paper folded over it. I did not twist into a pig-tail and snip with side cutters after drying, as I did with a cup-based mould for my first paper patching, back in the late 70's.
Mine were bore sized + about 1/2 a thousandth after patching. They worked perfectly with black powder, but would likely not work with most smokeless loads. I think Paul got bore sized to work in his Marlin with IMR4198 or H4198.
Perhaps I lucked out, but I followed Paul's methods, right down to his Beeswax:Vaseline lube, (I used 60:40) and his method of bullet size and had instant success. I had shot some paper patched bullets prior to this, so had some experience but not as good success I had with is methods.
I did not graphite my patched bullets, but did rub some of the bullet lube onto them.
Pay particular attention to his method of deciding if the lube is good enough, or not. THAT is important, at least I found his "lubrication rules" to work perfectly.
I could fire 10 into barely over MOA at 100 meters no wiping, then push all of that fouling out of the bore, with one dry patch - then carry on for another 10 shots or more.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com